There are a number of things that will be taken into account in the sexual abuse cases to establish how much compensation you will receive. These include:
- Damages to cover the sexual assault as well as the emotional, mental and psychological distress you are sure to be feeling.
- Expenses for medical treatment including surgery, equipment, medication or health care from a private provider.
- Expenses for travel. You may have needed to travel some distance to see a medical professional with a particular area of expertise.
- Loss of earnings whilst recovering. If you were unable to work whilst you were recuperating then you may be able to receive reimbursement for your loss of earnings during this time.
- If you required a carer to help in your home then you can recoup the costs for this. Many people who have been sexually abused require assistance following the incident.
Don’t forget to keep as much information and evidence as you can in order to claim back the maximum amount of expenses when you file your claim.