criminal injuries compensation
Request A Callback

Criminal Injuries Compensation Claim

Helping victims of violent crimes to recover compensation from Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), is a government organisation which provides compensation for victims of violent crimes in England, Scotland and Wales.

If you, a friend or a family member have suffered physical, sexual or psychological injuries as a result of a violent crime, it may be possible to apply to the CICA for compensation.

Request a Callback

“No Win, No Fee”

Criminal Injuries Compensation Solicitors

Request a free callback from expert CICA solicitor
0333 996 9988

By submitting my data I agree to process my data as per privacy policy.

What you can claim compensation for:

Book a Free Callback

Basic Eligibility Requirements

You need to meet some basic requirements before you can claim compensation from CICA

  • A claim(s) must be made within 2 years from the date of incident (except child or historic sexual abuse cases) else you should have a good reason for delay in making a claim.

  • The injuries you are claiming for must be as a direct result of the incident and you are a blameless victim of a violent crime.

  • The incident should be reported to the police as soon as is reasonably practicable and you do not drop the charges. CICA does not consider whether an assailant is prosecuted or not.

  • The incident must have happened in England, Scotland or Wales and you must have ordinarily been a resident in the UK on the date of the incident.

Book a Free Callback

Expert Criminal Injury Solicitor

Helping Victims of Violent Crimes To Recover Compensation From CICA

Request a Free Callback
0333 996 9988

How We Can Help?

  • We can help you recover compensation from £1,000 to £500,000.

  • We will proceed on a No Win, No Fee basis with no risk to you.

  • We will fight to recover the compensation that you deserve & deal with matters on your behalf.

  • We will handle everything on priority basis and keep it confidential.

  • We will claim against the CICA scheme so the perpetrator will never know.

0333 996 9988

We Can Help

If you are a victim of a violent crime and need help to recover the compensation from criminal injuries authority then we can help!

Violent Crime

A violent crime is when someone physically hurts someone, and also includes crimes where a weapon is used. The police will record a crime as violent if the offender clearly intended or intends to physically harm, regardless of whether or not it results in a physical injury.

Learn more

Sexual Assault & Rape

If someone intentionally grabs or touches you in a sexual way that you don’t like, or does something else sexual against your will, that’s sexual assault. This includes sexual touching of any part of someone’s body, and it makes no difference whether you’re wearing clothes or not.

Learn more

Childhood Abuse

Often, people abuse others because they want power and control over them. If you were abused as a child, it’s important to remember that it’s not your fault or because of anything that you did. Abusive behaviour towards children is always wrong and never the child’s fault.

Learn more

Murder or Manslaughter

Bereavement is a painful experience for anyone, but when you lose someone because of the violent actions of another person – through murder or manslaughter – it can be particularly devastating. You can claim the bereavement payment from criminal injuries compensation authority.

Learn more

Domestic Abuse

The UK government’s definition of domestic abuse & violence is that any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of their gender or sexuality.

Learn more

Loss of Earnings

Through the CICA, claims can be made for lost earnings or future loss of earnings, where you have no or limited capacity to work as the direct result of a criminal injury. However this only applies to time off over 28 weeks. For the first 28 weeks of time off, a claimant will not receive any compensation for loss of earnings.

Learn more

Calculate Your Claim Amount

You can use our simple CICA claim calculator to calculate the potential award amount.

Calculate Your Claim Amount

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is criminal injury compensation scheme?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is a government-funded scheme designed to compensate victims of violent crime in Great Britain. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), administer the Scheme, and decide all claims.

The rules of the Scheme and the value of the payments awarded are set by Parliament and are calculated by reference to a tariff of injuries. Although the size of the award varies to reflect the seriousness of the injury, we know that it will never fully compensate you for what you have suffered or lost – it is just society’s way of recognising that you have been a victim.

The Scheme applies to all applications received on or after 27 November 2012. This guide should be read in conjunction with the Scheme, which remains the authoritative document.

What is the eligibility criteria for CICA claims?

The CICA have set criteria which enables you to claim under their scheme, which includes:

  • You must have suffered the injury as a result of a crime of violence
  • The incident must have happened in England, Wales or Scotland
  • The incident must have been reported to the police as soon as practically possible
  • You must fully cooperate with the police and the CICA
  • Your injuries just be serious enough to meet the minimum requirements of the CICA scheme
Who can apply for CICA compensation?

The people who can apply for compensation under the scheme include:

  • A person who has suffered an injury
  • A close relative of someone who passed away as a result of their injuries
  • A witness of a crime or someone who arrived at the scene of the crime immediately afterwards and has suffered a psychological injury
  • A person who has paid funeral expenses of someone who passed away as a result of their injuries
Are there time limits to applying for CICA compensation?

If you were an adult at the time of the incident, you should apply within two years of the date of the incident. However, the time limit can be extended if there were exceptional circumstances which prevented you from applying earlier and the evidence to support the application means it can be determined without further extensive enquiries.

If you were a child under 18 years old at the time of the incident, the two-year time limit doesn’t apply. If the incident was reported to the police before the child turned 18, then the two-year limit would run from the date the child turned 18, i.e. they would have to make the claim before their 20th birthday.

The CICA will consider extending time limits where you can prove that you were unable to make the claim earlier, for example, if you had a psychological illness as a result of the incident. So it’s always best to check with the CICA first to see if it’s still possible to bring a claim, even if you’re outside of the applied time limit.

What information do you need to provide when applying for CICA compensation?

You will need the :

  • Date and location of the crime
  • Name of the police station where the crime was reported
  • Crime reference number
  • GP’s name and address
  • Dentist’s name and address (if you had dental treatment because of your injuries)
  • Details of any previous applications you’ve made to CICA
  • Details of any unspent criminal convictions
  • Proof of identity for you or anyone you’re responsible for, such as a birth or marriage certificate, power of attorney or deed poll
What payments are available from the Scheme?

The types of payment which may be made under criminal injuries compensation scheme are:

  • mental or physical injury following a crime of violence;
  • sexual assault or sexual/physical abuse;
  • loss of earnings – where you have no or limited capacity to work as the direct result of a criminal injury;
  • special expenses payments – these cover certain costs you may have incurred as a direct result of an incident. You can only ask us to consider special expenses if your injuries mean you have been unable to work or have been incapacitated to a similar extent for more than 28 weeks;
  • a fatality caused by a crime of violence including bereavement payments, payments for loss of parental services and financial dependency; and funeral payments.
  • Bereavement payments – A bereavement payment may be made to a qualifying relative who is not:  (a) a former spouse or former civil partner of the deceased; or (b) a person who is estranged from the deceased at the time of their death. (Where a claims officer is satisfied that more than one person may be eligible for a bereavement payment in respect of the deceased, the amount of the bereavement payment is £5,500. Otherwise, the amount of the bereavement payment is £11,000.)
  • Child’s payments – A child’s payment may be made to a person who is a qualifying relative if that person was at the time of the death of the deceased under 18 years old and dependent on the deceased for parental services. The period to which a child’s payment will relate begins on the day of the death and ends on the day before the child’s 18th birthday.
  • Dependency payments – A dependency payment may be made to a qualifying relative who at the time of the deceased’s death was financially or physically dependent on the deceased. A qualifying relative was physically dependent on the deceased if the deceased was their main carer. The period to which a dependency payment will relate begins on the day of the death.
  • Funeral payments – Where a person has died as a direct result of sustaining a criminal injury in circumstances a funeral payment may be made in respect of their funeral expenses for the benefit of their estate.
What happens if you have more than one injury?

If you have two or more injuries so serious that each, on its own, would qualify, you may be entitled to:

  • 100 per cent of the full tariff value of the most serious injury; and
  • 30 per cent of the tariff amount for the injury with an equal or second highest value; plus
  • 15 per cent of the tariff amount for any additional injury with an equal or third highest value.

The Scheme does not allow us to pay for more than three injuries. However, there are additional tariff payments which you can receive if, as a direct result of your injury or assault, you:

  • become pregnant;
  • lose a foetus; or
  • contract a sexually transmitted disease.
Can I claim if I witnessed a violent crime?

Criminal injuries are not just of a physical nature, they can also be psychological. Physical injury is more straight forward for example if you are beaten up, attacked, assaulted, or mugged and have been injured as a result of the criminal conduct of another party you have a right to seek compensation.

Psychological injury though can be more difficult to define. If you witnessed a violent crime, for instance, an armed robbery or someone being attacked, just because you weren’t physically injured doesn’t mean that’s the end of it. Because most of us are lucky enough not to come into contact with violent behaviour, often when we do it has a deep psychological impact.

If you have been witness to an act of violence you could find that you keep reliving the attack over and over. This can lead to a feeling of being afraid and not wanting to go out into public. Fear and panic set in and you become unable to live your life as you did before witnessing the attack. If you can relate to this then you should contact a personal injury solicitor to find out if you could be entitled to claim compensation.

There are two basic requirements for a successful compensation claim, these are that the victim must be the innocent party caught up in a criminal act and that this has led to them suffering the physical or psychological injury.

Any compensation award will be determined by the type and extent of any injuries and any long-lasting effects it has had on your life. This includes any effect on your ability to earn a living.

How soon can I get my criminal injury compensation?

Depending on the type of claim you have, the information the criminal injuries compensation authority needs, and the level of compensation you are entitled to, we can obtain compensation in as little as within 2-4 months. However, where there are delays in obtaining medical evidence or police information or any other report documentation it can take 11-12 months, and in very complex cases where there is a large loss of earnings, it can take more time. In those cases, we always seek an interim payment.

What you should do once the abuse or assault has been reported to the police?

It is essential that you co-operate with the police and help with the ongoing investigations in every possible way. This could include but not limited to make a formal statement and in some circumstances attending the court. In some cases, it can be extremely difficult to recall and talk about the abuse or assault but the more details you can provide will generally help your case and aid in making a criminal injuries compensation claim.

If you refuse to make a statement or withdraw your statement then criminal injuries compensation authority (CICA) are unlikely to award you any compensation, as they require that you are the blameless victim of the crime and you fully co-operated with the Police. If you do not fulfill these criteria then CICA usually refuses to compensate for any criminal injury even if you have been seriously assaulted.

Can I make a compensation claim if nobody has been convicted of the crime?

You can still claim and obtain the full compensation for any criminal injury even if no one has ever been caught or convicted. The conditions before you make a claim are that a crime must have taken place, you have suffered an injury as a result of a blameless act of violence and you have fully co-operated with the police, by reporting the incident and making a full statement.

CICA will also make a full investigation of the facts of your case. There are many occasions when it is not possible to identify the person who has assaulted you. You might have suffered memory loss due to the trauma of the attack, the assailant may have had their face covered or have even fled the country.

Can I make a claim as an adult if one has already been made when I was a child?

If a claim was made on your behalf when you were a child, you may not able to make a second claim for the same incident when you become an adult. The criminal injuries compensation scheme will not allow you to make a claim for the same incident two times. However, under some special circumstances, it may be possible to have a claim re-opened.

For such cases, we need to establish the basis of the medical evidence the original decision was made. For instance, it may have been for the physical assault/abuse, but over the years the child now turned adult suffers repressed psychological symptoms which could not have been anticipated when the original award was made.

If a psychological report can be obtained that confirms the symptoms have occurred as a result of the original incident, and the symptoms are sufficiently serious to warrant additional compensation. It may be possible to reopen a CICA case where an award was originally made as a child.

Our experienced team of solicitors will be happy to discuss your case on an informal no-obligation basis. If we believe there is sufficient information to submit a further claim we will advise you and act for you on a no win no fee basis.

Who decides how much criminal injury compensation I am likely to receive?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) handles criminal injury compensation claims. The CICA is a government-funded body that enables the victims of crime to be able to claim compensation even if the perpetrator has not been caught. The CICA has fixed tariffs for the many different types of injuries that can be suffered.

Even when the perpetrator of the injuries is caught and found guilty a compensation claim is not made against the criminal as they would likely not have sufficient funds to cover it and would not be covered by any personal liability insurance. This responsibility falls on the CICA who evaluates the merits of any claim and award compensation accordingly.

For a case to be successful the CICA must determine whether or not you played a part in the criminal act and if it resulted in you suffering physical or psychological injuries. This could range from being witness to a criminal act that has a psychological effect on you right through to suffering a most serious physical attack. When considering injuries suffered the most obvious ones are often the physical ones such as cuts, bruises, scarring, or broken bones.

Often the psychological effects are long term and do not heal as readily as the physical injuries. Anxiety, stress, and even depression can result from being caught up in criminal acts and do not always surface immediately after the incident. These can reveal themselves months or even years later and can have long term effects.

The CICA only compensates for injuries that according to their tariffs are worth over £1,000. The most serious injury awards go up to £500,000. You are able to claim for more than one injury, getting the full value for the most serious injury with subsequent injuries receiving a reduction according to the CICA rules. Usually, the three most serious injuries will be compensated but there are some incidents that fall outside this rule.

You may also be compensated for the loss of earnings, medical expenses, and some other costs that occurred as a result of the injuries.

There are many factors that can determine any compensation award like the type of injury, the severity of the injury, and any long term effects it has on your life. We offer a no win no fee service to give advice and help guide you through the process of making a claim whilst ensuring maximum recompense.

We are here to help!

If you, a friend or a family member has suffered physical or psychological injuries as a result of a violent crime, it may be possible to apply to the CICA for compensation.

“The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), is a government organisation which provides compensation for victims of violent crime in England, Wales, and Scotland. We represent victims of violent crime to get compensation from CICA.”

“No Win, No Fee”

Criminal Injuries Compensation Solicitors

Request a free callback from expert CICA solicitor
0333 996 9988

By submitting my data I agree to process my data as per privacy policy.