Victims of sexual abuse in England, Scotland, or Wales may be eligible to claim compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) if they meet the following criteria:

If you have been the victim of sexual abuse or sexual assault as a child or as an adult you can claim compensation through a government funded scheme. The scheme is managed by a body called the CICA. In order to apply you need to meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • You must have reported the child abuse or sexual assault crimes to the police. This included non-recent abuse cases.
  • The police must be able to investigate thoroughly with your full cooperation.
  • You must submit your claim (*in most cases) within 2 years reporting to the police.
  • You must be a resident of the UK, a national of the European Economic Area (EEA), or have leave to remain in the UK.

*It is possible to claim after the deadline in some cases where the assault victim suffers mental health problems or has an exceptional reason for any delay in submitting the claim.

It is important to note that compensation from the CICA is not intended to replace a criminal conviction for the abuser, but rather to provide financial support to the victim as they recover from their injury.